Exam 70-646 : Windows Server 2008, Server Administrator
This course is intended for experienced IT Professionals looking to gain deeper insight and decision making knowledge for a variety of planning and implementation tasks typically carried out by Server Administrators. Also, this course is relevant for you if you have been working as a Server Administrator on a previous version of Windows Server and want to update your skills to the Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Sp1 environment.
The course is intended to build on the student's existing skills in the areas of Active Directory and Network Infrastructure for Windows Server 2008, therefore it is not suitable for new or inexperienced server administrators.
Before attending this course, students must possess the following skillset and knowledge:
- At least one year experience in implementing or contributing to server and client planning
- At least one year experience carrying out day to day network Infrastructure and Active Directory management and maintenance tasks
Also, the following prerequisite certifications would support your preparation for attending this course and the taking of the subsequent related exam (70-646):
- Exam 70-640 : Windows Server 2008 Active Directory Configuration
- Exam 70-642 : Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure Configuration
At the course completion
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Plan Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Sp1 deployments and upgrades
- Plan server management and delegated administration strategies
- Plan for network addressing with IPv4 and IPv6 and also the provisioning of DNS services
- Plan and provision Active Directory Domain Services
- Plan and implement Group Policy strategy
- Plan and implement Active Directory Certificate Services
- Plan and provision Application servers including Web services, presentation virtualization and application virtualization
- Plan and implement file and print server roles
- Plan and implement secure network access policies such as VPNs, Network Access Protection (NAP) and Direct Access
- Plan and provision data and storage
- Plan and implement an update management strategy using Windows Server Update Services (WSUS)
- Plan and implement high availability
- Plan for server performance and event monitoring
- Plan and implement a backup and recovery strategy
This exam measures your ability to accomplish the technical tasks listed below. The percentages indicate the relative weight of each major topic area on the exam. The higher the percentage, the more questions you are likely to see on that content area on the exam.
Please note that the questions may test on, but will not be limited to, the topics described in the bulleted text.
- Planning for server deployment (19%)
- Planning for server management (23%)
- Monitoring and maintaining servers (20%)
- Planning application and data provisioning (19%)
- Planning for business continuity and high availability (19%)